by Tommy Gimler
Halfway through the NBA season, and the only thing people want to talk about outside of Los Angeles is a shot that LeBron James passed up during an exhibition game. Somebody cue the Allen Iverson “practice” rant.
Every team has played between 32 to 35 games thus far in this crammed season that has seen 67% of my fantasy team injured at some point. Also, Michael Jordan is a terrible executive. Outside of that, here is what we know:
1) The Bulls and Heat will meet in the Eastern Conference finals. Both teams outscore the competition by over nine points a game, they play great defense, and they can run. What makes the Bulls’ 27-8 start even more impressive is how they have battled through injuries to Derrick Rose, Luol Deng, and Richard Hamilton. Both teams are almost unbeatable at home, so this one might come down to who hosts more games in a best-of-seven.
2) Derrick Rose is a superstar. Simply put, you don’t give $250 million shoe deals to Enes Kanter. You give them to the elite.
3) The Boston Celtics are old. Have you seen these guys try to keep up with this schedule? Rajon Rondo must feel like he’s playing in a pickup game at the St. Barnabas Senior Center. Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett all look older than my dad, and he’s old enough to get a free cup of coffee at Denny’s.
4) The Los Angeles Lakers aren’t going anywhere this year. The Lakers have three great players in Bryant, Gasol, and Bynum. Also, they have nobody else.
5) Jeremy Lin is Asian. I don’t think we have ever seen a media storm like this. Ben & Jerry’s had to remove fortune cookies from their Lin-Sanity flavor. How is that in bad taste? It’s not like they put pieces of poodle in it. Media outlets have to make sure that their headlines and stories do not make any references to his race. It’s basically like saying you can’t mention Tebow and Jesus in the same sentence. Well, I have news for you people. He’s Asian! Get over it.